... a voice for those who mourn the loss of a soul mate
"He felt now that he was not simply close to her, but that he did not know where he ended and she began." - Leo Tolstoy

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

And today is another milestone

Today marks the 7th anniversary of John's passing, his death, his transition, or however anyone wants to call it. For me, it is the day I will always remember that changed our lives as we knew it forever.
I went to sleep a happy wife and woke up to being a sad and forever changed widow.
And life has never been the same.
Seven years.
A long time by any count.
But those years have not been static.
I have mourned.
I still do.
I have cried.
I still do, although not always with the same intensity as I did at the beginning.
I have cared for my mother-in-law and watched as she too passed on.
I have said good-bye to precious pets.
And I have lost two close and dear family members - my father and my uncle.
I have watched my mother and my aunt slip into dementia.
But -
I have grown.
I have published a book.
I have learned new spiritual truths I would not have otherwise learned had John not gone on ahead of me.
I have remade John's office into a meditation space I can now enjoy and where I can share that new spirituality with him.
I have made many new friends, drawn as we were by a new understanding of grief.
Some of those friends have become like family to me and for that I am grateful.
I have started a new business with two of those precious friends.
I have reconciled with a brother whose love and friendship I treasure.
So, it hasn't all been sad.
Would I change it?
Of course.
To have John back would be Heaven here on Earth. But I know that isn't going to happen.
So, I continue forward.
We are here for Love and then we go Home.
That's my focus now.
But in the meantime, I honor John and what we had in the physical and what we have now in Spirit.
See you soon, Sweetheart. I love you.



1 comment:

Gary Palastro said...

John was the brother I never had,and his passing was a loss for me too. As I reflect back on the tragedy of family loss, my father, my uncle, my mother and aunts dementia.I feel blessed that I have my sister by my side to keep me strong.