... a voice for those who mourn the loss of a soul mate
"He felt now that he was not simply close to her, but that he did not know where he ended and she began." - Leo Tolstoy

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Finding My Soul Mate with a Little Help from the Afterlife

For most of my life, I was reasonably indifferent to the afterlife. I believed there was something there, but I never really paid much attention to what was there. In my youth, I suppose, I felt pretty much invulnerable and so the afterlife really did not merit much thought. Until, that is, two of my best friends educated me and people I loved started to die. All of a sudden, I began to be aware of signs from the other side. The coincidences were just a few too many to ignore. I simply could no longer write the signs off as coincidence.

In looking back, I am convinced that some of the past “coincidences” were actually messages. I just wrote them off as serendipitous happenstance.

Since my mother died when I was 12, I have known on some level that she was watching over me. I once had a roommate who I now know was most likely a quiet medium. She once saw my mother and gave me a message from her. It’s a convoluted tale but the bottom line is that my mother was trying to tell me that I was dating the wrong guy. That relationship, thankfully, eventually failed and I moved on.

But it wasn’t until this week that I made a huge connection that showed me she has also sent me signs directly. I just never realized what they were.

I recently found myself telling someone how I did not know until the day of my wedding (May 25) that it was also my parents’ anniversary. Now, my parents were high school sweethearts who clearly married right after graduating. I am convinced they were soul mates. When she died, my father was devastated and even though he remarried a year later, I don’t think he ever completely got over his grief.

Why did we select that specific day? Other than the convenience of having a holiday weekend to give us a longer honeymoon, I have no explanation. We could have picked the 24th or the 26th. We did not. I choose to believe my mother was guiding that choice. 44 years later, I think it was her way of telling me that I had made the right choice, that this man would be steady and love me for the long term, that he was, finally, the soul mate I had been seeking.


No comments: